Monday, July 11, 2011

/// on a tricycle

"You have to remember where you came from." Now I realize the true meaning of it. It doesn't mean you have to be proud of where you come from or that you owe something to your motherland, not even that you have to like it. It just says "remember". Remember the good things that made you who you are right now.

I am a strong person, but I don't owe it to where I came from. I can ride in the rough, and slide through smoke without losing sight of the goal. But I don't owe it to anyone but myself. I can dodge third world traffic and cross killer highways, doesn't mean I like it. But I remember the good things that make up who I am. The courage and the resilience.

It doesn't mean the Swedes are sissies, they also have good things and values relevant to them, and unique to how and where they grew up. Like how they have the spirit of equality and fairness flowing in their veins. Or how the Dutch have their free spirits and open-mindedness present in their every move. Which they should remember.

Remember where you came from means remember your strengths.

No comments: